How to Register as Self Employed in the UK?

How to register as self employed in the uk

Being self-employed in the United Kingdom can be a dream for many. Many might have also pursued it and many might be way close to it. But did you know that becoming self-employed in the United Kingdom comes with great responsibility? In other words, if you are self-employed in the UK, you should not forget to complete one of the most important formalities which is getting your self-employment registered with the government’s official department concerned with the matter. This blog will provide information about how to get registered as a self employed in the UK.

If you forget to get your self-employment registered in a legal manner, you might have to face various complications in the near future. On the other hand, if you get your self-employment registered with the UK government’s departmental agency, you will be able to continue with your business smoothly and will also get benefits from the government schemes.

The article will be discussing why it is so significant to get yourself registered as self-employed if you are one. Here, we will also be discussing what sort of complications you might face if you do not get yourself registered as self-employed. Further, we will be discussing when and where you should complete the registration formality and how you will get yourself registered.

Registered Self-Employment: Importance

Registered self employee

If you live in the UK and have got self-employment for your earning, the first thing you need to do is to inform the State’s Government about your self-employment by getting yourself registered with the official department of the UK government regarding customs and revenues.

This formality is very important as it gives you legal permission to continue with your business. The government needs to know about the citizen’s self-employment information so that it can notify you about the amount of tax you will need to pay to the government and this can only be done if you get yourself registered with the government’s official agency.

Once you get registered, the UK government will issue you a notice regarding a Self-Assessment of the taxation and the returns. This will mean that the government can send you the tax statements when required.

Now, as you are a self-employed citizen of the nation and you have got your registration done with the government’s official agency, you will have to pay the tax. You will only be exempted from paying the tax if you earn very less income from your self-employment and you merely qualify for the trading allowance and you choose to use it. In this case, you may prefer not to get registered with the UK government about your self-employment.

Being Unregistered: Complications

Being unregistered complications

For a self-employed citizen in the United Kingdom, it becomes a must to get himself or herself registered with the official agency of the United Kingdom Government concerned with the revenue and taxation. If you are self-employed and have not registered your self-employment with the same, you might face legal troubles and complications in the near future as not getting registered by the relevant date may trouble you with penalties.

Not registering as self-employed simply means not abiding by the law. You may also be asked to pay interest on the tax you pay in the future. So make sure to get registered if you are self-employed in England or Wales or else the government of the UK can charge you a penalty.

When to Get Registered?

Getting registered as self-employed is a formality that you should not wait for getting completed. In simple words, you should get your self-employment registered as soon as you get started with your business or self-employment or by October 5, following the end of the tax year in which you got started with your trade. This will ensure your trade to go on legally and smoothly from the beginning itself.

Where to Get Registered?

Where to get registered

Let us now discuss where you should get registered with your self-employment

For the process, the government of the United Kingdom has created a distinguished official agency that deals with the revenues, customs, and taxation.

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs knew as HMRC is the department of the UK government responsible for the enforcement of corporation tax for small businesses, their collection and ensures the tax and customs laws. Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs is the agency we have been discussing throughout the article where you need to register your self-employment.

Getting registered with the HMRC will provide you with perks like you will get free access to benefits and services provided by HMRC. The department of HMRC will calculate the tax you need to pay correctly hence giving you the peace of mind that you are paying the correct amount of revenue.

How to Get Registered as a Self Employed?

The registration process for being self-employed is very easy and comes with options according to your convenience.

You can register your self-employment in the following ways

  • You can register online on the site GOV.UK
  • By simply filling up an online form CWF1.
  • By filling up an on-screen form and getting it printed and submitting it to the HMRC department.
  • By making a phone call to the HMRC helpline for the newly self-employed.

Above are the simplest ways by which you can get yourself registered as self-employed. In case you face any sort of confusion while getting your self-employment registered, you can directly approach the HMRC via call or physically.


Getting registered as self-employed with the government’s official agency is very significant once you are self-employed in the state. This not only provides you with access to various benefits from the government’s schemes and plans for the self-employed citizens but also gives you the motivation to work as getting registered means you are now legally working with your trade and are a responsible taxpayer citizen of the United Kingdom.

The article has been written specifically considering the requirements of the residents of the United Kingdom. The article has been written for the reference purpose about the matter. In case of any sort of confusion, do not miss to contact the HMRC from where you can get the complete and valid information.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here